Credible Sources of Public Health Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Guidance for Older Adults: https://www.cdc.gov/aging/covid19-guidance.html
- Denton County Public Health
- Denton County COVID-19 Hotline: 940-349-2585 The call center team will not be able to provide diagnosis or individual clinical advice. If you are ill, please contact your healthcare provider.
- University of North Texas Health Alerts
- Texas Department of State Health Services
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
To comply with new measures being implemented by UNT, our staff will begin working remotely on Wednesday, March 18. Until further notice, our Member Lounge/Library, classroom, and offices at 1716 Scripture Street in Denton will be closed to visitors. For the time being, we will be sending mass communications to members of both OLLI at UNT and the UNT Retiree Association (UNTRA) through our firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
We will still be able to listen to voicemails from our main number, 940-369-7293, but our communication with members and the public will now take place exclusively via email. Members of UNTRA are welcome to send communications to our email@example.com email address. If you have an UNTRA-related comment or question, simply let us know by clarifying that in your email.
Wednesday, March 11, 2020
Hello, UNTRA Family!
Even though there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Denton at this time, out of an abundance of caution, and because we know COVID-19 has significantly worse outcomes in older adults, we feel it is prudent to cancel all UNTRA events for the next six weeks (through April 24th).
Any activities that were planned from March 16th through April 24th will be cancelled. This includes the following:
- Thursday, March 19: Dallas Symphony Orchestra trip*
- Thursday, March 26: PUSH Potluck Dinner
- Friday, March 27: Academic Update: Performing Arts Center with Dr. Chesky
- Wednesday, April 22: UNT Symphony and Dinner at China Town Cafe
- Thursday, April 23: Dallas Zoo Tour
*The only event that has been paid for this spring is the upcoming DSO trip which cost attendees $50. If you paid for your ticket with a credit card, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can issue you a refund. If you paid with cash or a check, you will receive a credit that can be used for another event once we are fully operational again. In order to claim your credit, please contact us before registering and paying for an event.
For your information, here is a link that helps illustrates how cancelling events can help save lives: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation
While this is not how we planned to spend the rest of our spring semester, we hope you understand that we are trying to do our part to help contain this virus and protect our communities. Should you find that you are feeling socially isolated due to the lack of UNTRA programming, we invite you to reach out to us via email.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com or call us at the number mentioned above.
We value each and every one of you and look forward to seeing you after April 24th.
Stephanie Reinke, Ed.D.
Director, Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement
University of North Texas